Thursday, August 14, 2008

AUSTIN WEATHER

It's true. You can acclimate to the heat in Austin. And this year it is hot! We have had over 45 days of 100 degrees or more and broken the record for the average summer high. That is when you average all the daily temperatures for the summer thus far, the total is the highest in history.

But don't let that prevent you from relocating to this great city. It's not always that hot. According to weather statistics we only had 2 days at or over 100 degrees last summer but I can't remember it getting over 96 degrees.

I relocate a lot of people to our area and one of the questions I get asked a lot is what kind of weather conditions we have and if there are tornadoes. I've lived in Austin for 20 years and here's my experience:

RAIN - We either have too much or not enough. The storms are huge but don't worry about it no matter how the news media tries to scare you with the weather reports. Don't play golf if it's lightening. Low water crossings flood. Our slogan is "turn around, don't drown." Sometimes lakefront property floods. The average neighborhood is unlikely to flood. The MLS sheets have an entry to alert you if a home is in a flood plain so you don't have to buy in one. The rain keeps our lawns green and the lakes full.

SNOW - I think it snows about once every 10 years. We do often have one good ice storm in a winter. It has been know to shut down the city. Northerners laugh at us because we don't drive on ice. Keep in mind we don't have snow tires or experience since it's a once a year happening. it's a good opportunity for the kids to get a day off school and maybe you can get a day off work.

DROUGHT - Yes we have that. Almost every summer. There are scheduled watering days for your lawn. The lake levels go down and they come back up. If you are not a farmer there will be little impact.

HURRICANES - We are pretty far from the coast. There has been some wind damage from hurricanes but nothing like living on the coast.

TORNADOES - Often there are tornado watches or warnings. The only tornado I can remember was about 10 years ago in a community named Jarrell which is north of Austin. I live near the northern boarder and still don't know where Jarrell is because it's too far north for my real estate connections.

HAIL - Yes, we have that. I've seen the results of large hail storms with ripped trees, down fences, roofing company signs in yards and dented cars but I've never had more than pea-sized hail hit my house in the 18 years I've owned it.

TEMPERATURE - It's hot in the summer and warm most of the rest of the year. We do have freezing temperatures from time to time. It seems like summer is 9 months and winter from December through February. If you like outdoor activities, this is a great place to be. Most of the time the weather is great enough to be outdoors and there are is always something going on.

This is my experience. Send me yours.

No comments: