Thursday, July 24, 2008

A FRESH START


Today we started renovating my home office. Moving, even moving one room is emotionally exhausting. I'm impressed that sellers and buyers do it and in such a short time like 30 days for an entire house. You see, when we moved into our house 18 years ago, we didn't have nearly as much stuff as we do now. I packed up everything I wouldn't need for a week and had to make some tough decisions about what to throw away. Some things had sentimental value like crafts my kids made but my husband actually found an empty Jalapeno jar in a drawer.

The back wall of my office is still the purple we painted when the room was my daughters bedroom about 5 years ago. From the photo you can see my husband taking the dreaded popcorn texture off the ceiling. Here's the plan: remove texture from ceiling, paint room creamy color, add framing to window, add 2" blinds, install wood floor.

I've got to tell you my idea about the floor because I'm hoping others will appreciate it and maybe want to do the same if they have a typical tract home like me. Not suitable for a luxury home. Once when I was watching a home decorating show on TV, I saw a room where the floor had been covered with plywood and painted. It looked interesting and I like different so we started pulling up carpet one room at a time and installing 4' x 4' plywood sheets. I like it because it's not carpet, it's inexpensive, we could do it one room at a time and if it needed refreshing you just add a new coat of paint. So far we've done the upstairs hall and my husbands home office. Downstairs we put high quality laminate throughout. We decided to paint it a chocolate brown. You can always add nice rugs on top.

It's good to clean out every few years. You find so much trash and dust where you never expected. I'm excited about a new office with a fresh start.

No comments: