Wednesday, June 18, 2008

WILL WORK FOR FOOD

For years there have been people standing at busy intersections in Austin with signs that read "Will work for food." Things have changed and now they say things like "Please help." They have no intention of working. They just want a donation.

I've heard a lot of arguments about why it's not a good idea to give these people money. And I've debated the matter with myself for years. One time I saw a man who appeared to be in his 80's with a sign that read " WWII veteran. Please help" and when the light turned green, I drove away.

When I drive past these people, I always feel guilty. You can tell I still feel guilty about the WWII veteran. I'm fortunate enough not to find myself in similar circumstances and I'm grateful I have had better opportunities in life and perhaps made better choices.

I decided that I don't care if they really need the money or not. I don't care if they may spend it on drugs or alcohol. I'm just not going to pass judgment on them any longer and drive away feeling bad the rest of the day.

Now I keep a few $1 bills in my car and anytime I stop at a light and someone is there with a sign asking for help, I roll down my window and hand them $1. It probably costs me less than $10 a month and I feel like I'm helping someone.

My daughter told me that sometimes she keeps bottles of water in her car to hand out.

Next time you see someone holding a sign, just think about.

No comments: