Thursday, December 20, 2007

REAL ESTATE SCAMS ON CRAIGSLIST

Be careful using and shopping on craigslist.

One scam I've encountered several times has occurred when I've posted properties for lease. I get an email from a "doctor in the UK" who writes in very poor English that he's coming to the US in two weeks and want's to rent my property. His financial person will contact me about sending the deposit plus extra money which I will then send on to him. Every email I get has a sightly different address and the "doctor" won't fill out an application.

On the ABOR Web site I just read about a scam where legitimate for sale postings are being duplicated as for lease posting by people who don't own the property but are claiming to be the owners. They take the applicants deposit and first month rent and the leasee will notget possession of the property or have anyway to get their money back.

Be careful divulging personal information. Consult a REALTOR.
Search for homes through Austin MLS
Find your home's value
Buying or selling? Hire an experienced professional. Call Robin Scott, Broker at 512.589.7988.
Like us on facebook!

No comments: